Log in

Jun. 30th, 2008 @ 01:59 pm Phd abroad
blue guy
[User Picture Icon]
Date:June 30th, 2008 08:08 pm (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
I agree with keg41 in the sense that you really have to think about where you want to be employed. With a degree from Canada, England, or the US you could work in any of those countries and others in Europe, South America, or various other locales based on your language abilities. If you matriculate at a European university the US schools may or may not hire you and you may not get hired in Europe because you are a US citizen. Now, if you matriculate here and do 1-2 years of research/study abroad then American universities will find you an attractive candidate and you could still probably teach at other European schools, or at least be a good competitor for fellowships and post docs - its all about what you want to do really - I advise if you want the best of both worlds look for a school that is really well respected in England or Canada - then you have a touch of European respect and you can still get hired in the US - just my throughts
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture Icon]
Date:July 1st, 2008 03:56 am (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
thank you, your advice was really thoughtful and reasonable.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)